BBC Breakfast halted as Charlie Stayt issues heartbreaking de@th announcement

The presenter issued an update on a deadly sh0ot!ng.

Naga Munchetty and Charlie Stayt

Charlie Stayt opened the programme with a devastating update (Image: BBC)

BBC Breakfast’s Charlie Stayt kicked off the latest programme with a heart-wrenching news update on one of the “worst sh0ot!ng in country’s history”. On Thursday’s (February 12) episode, Charlie, 63, and his co-host Naga Munchetty, 50, returned to screens to share the latest headlines with viewers across the country. Just minutes into Thursday’s (February 12) edition of the programme, the presenter shared further details about the sh0ot!ng that took place in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

He said: “A day of mourning has been declared in the Canadian province of British Columbia after eight people were shot dead in one of the worst mass sh0ot!ngs in the country’s history. Police have named the suspect as 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootseelar, who also died at the scene from a self-inflicted gunshot injury.” The camera then cut over to a news report from BBC’s North American Correspondent, Simi Jolasos.

Canada is grappling with one of the deadliest school sh0ot!ngs in the country’s recent history after eight people were killed at a secondary school in British Columbia, with the suspect among the dead.

Two other victims were found dead at a second location nearby in Tumbler Ridge, in the city of Vancouver.

Officials from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police revealed that the suspected shooter was Jesse Van Rootselaar, 18, who was born biologically male but identified as a woman and was known to have a history of mental health issues.

“We have a history of police attendance at the family residence. Some of those calls are related to mental health issues,” Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald, commander of the RCMP in British Columbia, informed the media.

CANADA-SHOOTING-CARNEY

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced that flags would be flown at half-mast at all government buildings for seven days (Image: Getty)

The RCMP disclosed that the victims included a 39-year-old female educator, three 12-year-old female students, and two male students aged between 12 and 13. Two further victims, identified as the suspect’s 39-year-old mother and an 11-year-old brother, were discovered at their family home. Several more are fighting for their lives in hospital.

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney offered his heartfelt condolences earlier in the day, announcing that flags would be flown at half-mast at all government buildings for seven days, reports the Mirror.

“‘We will get through this. We will learn from this,” Carney said. “But right now, it’s a time to come together, as Canadians always do in these situations, these terrible situations, to support each other, to mourn together and to grow together.”