GB News paused as Andrew disaster set to ‘topple the monarchy’

Their live coverage was briefly paused for an update on Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor

GB News paused as Andrew disaster set to ‘topple the monarchy’ (Image: Getty)

The shamed former royal is suspected of forwarding reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein when he was government trade envoy. King Charles has told of his “profound concern” over allegations about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and will “stand ready to support” the police if approached over the claims, Buckingham Palace said.

GB News presenters Alex Armstrong and Dawn Neesom were joined by royal correspondent for The Telegraph, India McTaggart, and royal broadcaster and historian Rafe Heydal-Mankoo.

Alex questioned: “There is a top democrat in the United States who has been quoted as saying, ‘These files could topple the monarchy.’ Do you think there is any truth to that?”

Rafe laughed off the assumptions, as he replied: “I think having an American Congressman weigh in on the Republican situation in this country, is about as good as a Labour person speaking about American politics.”

He added, “Stay in your lane, congressman.” While, the royal correspondent agreed with Rafe’s take, she suggested that public anger is rising.

GB News

GB News discussed King Charles’s latest statement (Image: GB News)

“There is a sense of public anger spilling over now,” she expressed, “and not just on that side of the Atlantic.”

She went on: “But we have seen the King heckled twice on his most recent public engagement about these claims and about Andrew.
“It does pose somewhat of an existential crisis and they really need to be seen as seperating themselves from it and be as transparent as possible.”

She concluded: “I think some of the public will think Andrew’s links to Epstein were known for years before his titles were stripped. Of course, how could the King have known about how devastating it would be because Andrew wasn’t truthful with them from the beginning.”

Andrew is suspected of forwarding official reports about overseas trips to Hong Kong, Singapore, China and Vietnam in 2010 and 2011, in the Epstein files released by the US Department of Justice earlier this month.

A Buckingham Palace spokesperson said on Monday evening: “The king has made clear, in words and through unprecedented actions, his profound concern at allegations which continue to come to light in respect of Mr Mountbatten-Windsor’s conduct.”

Thames Valley police confirmed on Monday they were assessing claims that Andrew shared confidential reports during his role as as government trade envoy with convicted paedophile and financier Epstein.